Monday, February 3, 2020

HUMILITY.. WHAT IT'S LIKE?


'Picked up and thrown.. 
They cause innumerable damage but 
Streamlined and laid out level.. 
They are a beauty by themselves!'

As a child, when Sri Adi Sankara was wandering on the banks of Narmada, He came across the Seer Govinda Bhagavadpada who asked Him,

"Who are You?"

Sri Shankara instantly answered him thru' nine Slokas subsequently called Nirvana Shatakam (Atma Shatakam) and the first Sloka of that Shatakam goes thus..

'Mano Budhyahankaara Chitani Naaham,
Na Cha Shrotrajihve Na Cha Ghraananetre
Na Cha Vyoma Bhumir Na Tejo Na Vayuh,
Chidaanandarupah Shivoham Shivoham.'


'I am not mind, nor intellect, nor ego, nor the five senses, nor the reflections of inner self
I am beyond all that. Again
I am not the ether, nor the earth, nor the fire, nor the wind as
I am indeed that Eternal Knowing and Bliss, the Auspicious (Shivam), Love and Pure Consciousness!'


That sure remains my Prayer of the Day to the Almighty for my uplift, I being the man of ignorance infinitely far away from Truth with my endless limitations..

At times, it may appear to me that Truth is simple to follow if I am straight forward but that's not that simple as I am truly unaware of my deepest limitations which in no time pop up and stop me from living the life of Truth

As the following story heard in my younger days the origin of which is unknown to me reveals..

*** A Saint going with His disciples in the forest explaining the basic aspects of spiritual life was invited towards noon by a good tribal chief to his Hamlet and was offered mouth watering lunch and wine..

'Anando Brahma!'

The Master said, took the food and wine with the disciples too doing that to their full satisfaction and ease, blessed the chief and continued His journey..

Towards evening by bad luck, they were corned by a cruel tribal chief who beat them up black and blue and offered a single bitter drink as the night food..

'Anando Brahma!'

The Master said, took the bitter drink and blessed the chief but the disciples reeling under great pain couldn't take a sip of the offer!

That's why, even though the Saying goes..


Truth alone triumphs

The often repeated other Saying truly applies to me with my own endless limitations.. Viz.,

Ignorance is bliss..

As being ignorant of the reality many times secures my own bliss and my life of today on the earth continues with a certain happiness and simplicity..

But at times, when that same ignorance starts ruling me with pride seen everywhere, soon it appears to me that I am a personality of certain worth, others around me are not and that state of mind gives birth to prejudice in me ultimately making me try ruling the world with


PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

Ruling me behind..

A sick man may soon either become better or adjust mentally to live with the disease but when my personality is diseased with my own pride and prejudice..

That condition will only worsen me in time with a confidence by the side affirming that ‘I am improving’ and as a contagious disease, spreads by leaps and bounds among people who have similar egos..

I should ever remember that the understanding of Truth is like in the words of the Great Saint,

'It is as hard as rock but is as soft as butter!'

Conveying the inherent meaning of the high flexibility of all such opinions in our life leading to

ULTIMATE HUMILITY

And nothing less out of one’s own understanding at heart which forever asserts the concept..

‘Contain yourself maximum and curtail the other never!’

The Post is written in line with this week's IndiSpire Prompt "Ignorance is the mother of prejudice" - How true is this statement? Do you agree? #Ignorance

Keywords: PRIDE, PREJUDICE, HUMILITY

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your take on this Sreedhar ji. An ardent believer of Body-Mind-Intellect and how it can shape us.

    ReplyDelete